Muffins are a favourite in our house; I’ve been know to make them twice a week because they disappear so quickly! My go to whole wheat banana muffins are usually the muffin of choice, but today I wanted something heartier, made with oats. Searching on All Recipes, I came across some orange flavoured ones. Orange oatmeal muffins?! That’s like all my current cravings in one bite! If you ever use All Recipes, you know that you must read the comments before trying any recipe. Even the top rated ones usually have lots of suggestions on little ways to tweak the recipe to make it better, and this one was no different. In fact, I changed so much, my recipe hardly resembles the original! Frugal, and delicious, they are a must try!
Orange Oatmeal Muffins (yielded 1 dozen large muffins and 1 dozen mini muffins, or approximately 18-20 large muffins)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
pinch of nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line muffin pans.
2. In a small bowl soak oats in orange juice for 15 minutes.
3. With a mixer, cream together yogurt and sugars. Beat in eggs and oat/orange juice mixture.
4. In a separate bowl, blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir into wet batter, mixing only until combined.
5. Pour into lined muffin pans, 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes (2-3 minutes less for mini muffins), until golden brown.
These are kid approved too, but then again, my kids will eat just about any kind of muffin I bake! I might also play around with the amount of sugar in these next time too, and maybe even add some orange zest to bump up the flavour even more.